More than a dozen people were recently hospitalized due to high levels of carbon monoxide allegedly caused by a faulty pool heater. When your pool’s heater isn’t working correctly, it can make swimming a less desirable option and in extreme cases, dangerous.

In this article, heater repair experts from Las Vegas share five dangerous consequences of ignoring pool heater issues.

  1. The water might be too cold

When your pool’s heater isn’t working, the water can be too cold to swim in. That can make swimming less enjoyable and keep people from using your pool altogether.

It could also be dangerous because if the water is too cold, people may not be able to brace themselves if they fall in properly. That could lead to cold water shock, increasing the risk of drowning.

  1. The water could be contaminated

If your pool’s heater isn’t working, the water may not be clean. That can increase the risk of getting sick from swimming in your pool. It’s important to keep the water in your pool well-maintained to prevent bacteria, mold, and other harmful contaminants from building up.

Ensure the pH level of the water is in check, get the water tested regularly, and use chlorine or other disinfectants to maintain the quality of the pool.

  1. Pool heater leaks can lead to electrocution

If your pool’s heater is leaking, it can cause the water to overflow. That can lead to a dangerous situation, especially if there’s an electrical outlet near the pool. Electrocution is a real risk and a distinct possibility, especially if the water leaking from the pool heater gets into your local electrical system.

  1. Faulty heaters may overheat
    heater knob

If the heater in your pool is not working correctly, it may overheat and cause a fire. That can be very dangerous and could potentially damage your pool as well as your home. For example, if your pool heater is located in your garage and it catches on fire due to overheating, the fire could quickly spread to the rest of your home.

  1. Heaters might give off carbon monoxide

If the pool’s heater isn’t working, it may give off carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that can be deadly if inhaled. It’s important to keep your pool area well-ventilated to prevent carbon monoxide from building up.

Be sure to keep an eye on the carbon monoxide levels once you notice that your pool’s heater isn’t working correctly. Too much carbon monoxide can lead to headaches, nausea, dizziness, and even death. If the levels get too high, it’s important to get out of the area and call 911.

If Your Pool’s Heater Isn’t Working, Call A Professional

It’s essential to call a professional when you start noticing signs that there’s something wrong with your pool heater. They will be able to diagnose the issue and will be able to repair or replace the heater if necessary.

Clark County Pool & Lawn is a family-owned and operated company dedicated to providing reliable pool repair services. If you’re having trouble with your pool heaters, give us a call and we’d be happy to assist you.